How people travel to, from, and through our campuses is an important strategic issue for UNSW. Future growth of the University will need to be supported by public and active transport modes in order to manage congestion and reduce pollution. We will develop a new plan to improve key connections to, from, and through our campuses – with a focus on pathways, wayfinding, policies, and key infrastructure upgrades.
Opportunities to reduce staff business travel have also been identified, including expansion and promotion of enhanced audio-visual (AV) and video conferencing (VC) facilities. Investment in high-quality third-party carbon reduction projects is planned to offset the environmental impact of staff travel.
Ensure our campuses are easily accessible by multiple transport modes and our community is supported to make active and sustainable transport choices
- Increase the percentage of staff and students commuting by active travel modes to 20% by 2022.
- Reduce air travel emissions by 1% by 2022.
- Develop a Campus Transport and Access Plan.
- Provide secure bicycle storage and end-of-trip facilities in key campus locations.
- Establish processes to measure and offset business travel carbon emissions.
- Identify and evaluate opportunities to expand AV and VC facilities and promote these as an alternative to travel.