Waste management is a key priority for students and staff and perhaps the most visible day-to-day environmental issue on campus.
This focus area includes our efforts to eliminate single-use plastics, maximise recycling and minimise waste-to-landfill, in accordance with the waste hierarchy. By improving waste practices and behaviours we aim to conserve natural resources, make cost savings and improve waste awareness amongst our students and staff. We are working closely with our key stakeholders, who include students and staff, contractors, suppliers of goods and services and our campus retail partners, to accelerate progress on our waste and recycling commitments.
Close the loop by minimising waste, improving resource efficiency and managing waste responsibly.
- Reduce general waste per EFTSL by 10% by 2022.
- Maintain general waste landfill diversion at 90%+
- Achieve a minimum 90% recycling of construction and demolition waste.
- Develop and implement a Waste Management Plan.
- Implement centralised waste collection in offices and expand food waste collection.
- Work with retailers and hospitality partners to eliminate single-use plastics wherever feasible and practical.
- Identify and implement circular economy initiatives.
- Ensure best practice recycling of construction and demolition waste.
- Implement a comprehensive furniture reuse solution and platform.