Waste is the most visible environmental issue on campus and tackling single-use disposables – in particular plastics – has been identified as a key priority by the UNSW community. Our strategy follows the waste hierarchy by promoting reuse over single-use, reducing packaging and prioritising products that are recyclable. We will do this by engaging with suppliers and retailers and improving waste management facilities and practices.
Close the loop by minimising waste, improving resource efficiency and managing waste responsibly.
- Reduce general waste per EFTSL by 10% by 2022.
- Maintain general waste landfill diversion at 90%+
- Achieve a minimum 90% recycling of construction and demolition waste.
- Develop and implement a Waste Management Plan.
- Implement centralised waste collection in offices and expand food waste collection.
- Work with retailers and hospitality partners to eliminate single-use plastics wherever feasible and practical.
- Identify and implement circular economy initiatives.
- Ensure best practice recycling of construction and demolition waste.
- Implement a comprehensive furniture reuse solution and platform.