We aim to eliminate single-use plastics, maximise recycling and minimise waste-to-landfill. By improving waste practices and behaviours we aim to conserve natural resources, make cost savings and improve waste awareness amongst our students and staff.
How to recycle on campus
UNSW has 2 managed collection points for soft plastic recycling across upper and lower campus.
You can recycle any clear soft plastic that passes the scrunch test. This means any plastic packaging that is transparent, colourless and can be easily squeezed into a ball in your hand goes into the orange bins.
Acceptable soft plastics include:
- Pallet wrap
- Shrink wrap
- Stretch wrap
- Bubble wrap
- Air pillows
- Plastic bags
How to effectively recycle soft plastic:
- Collect clear soft plastic at a central location in your office, lab or workshop.
- If needed, you can collect clear plastic bin liners from upper and lower campus Stores.
- Once full, deposit your clear soft plastic into an orange bin at one of the following locations on campus:
- E8 Science & Engineering Building (Lower Campus Store)
- E26 Biological Sciences (Upper Campus Store)
For further information click 'Open guide' below or contact EM General services via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can drop off undamaged single-use or rechargeable batteries of up to D size, old mobile phones and accessories, such as chargers, at the special recycling boxes located around campus including Library Level 2 (near main entrance), Arc Reception or the specific office recycling stations on campus. Find battery drop off locations on the campus sustainability map.
- For larger quantities, complete highlighted fields in the waste inventory form found here. Email the completed form to email@example.com and a collection will be scheduled.
- For damaged or leaching batteries, or larger and any other types of batteries request free of charge collection as chemical waste by completing online chemical disposal form here.
For further information contact EM General services via email firstname.lastname@example.org .
IT e-waste: UNSW IT and EM General Services has established a free of charge collection and recycling service for IT based e-waste items including laptops, desktops, computer accessories, monitors, monitor stands, server racks, printers, and other relevant equipment. Please book an Archibus request here for e-waste disposal as non-billable and the items will be collected from your nominated location.
White goods and non IT e-waste: Contact EM General Services at email@example.com .
You can recycle eligible return and earn drink containers by putting them in white outdoor bins and help raise funds for sustainable waste management at UNSW.